Friday, July 25, 2008

Panko Green Tomatoes


I've been bogged down with yet more car trouble lately, and so I've been too preoccupied with other things to write in the last few days. But I did keep a green tomato from the farmers' market from going to waste with a little bit of panko bread crumbs and some flour/cornmeal/bread crumb mixture (generously sprinkled with Old Bay). I had wanted to dip it in an egg wash, but I have rarely done that with green tomatoes. The end result was pretty tasty, even though a few crumbs were slightly burnt.

6 comments:

theminx said...

We have a couple of green tomatoes on our Roma tomato plant and I've been so tempted to eat them green rather than wait for ripening. And now you mention panko....yum.

John said...

Yeah, I much prefer them green. There are a few green tomato recipes in John Shields' book Chesapeake Bay Cooking that really get me inspired.

awb said...

I love that cookbook. It reminds me of the food I had as a child. My 18 gallon storage tub garden is doing well, despite me not be prepared. I am fixing green tomatoes tonight!

roopa said...

Fried green tomatoes are sooooo good. I've never made them with panko but that sounds like a great idea - I'm going to have to steal some green tomatoes off my mom's plants this week to make some!

John said...

In retrospect, I wonder if the panko would've stayed on better with an egg wash. I may have to experiment! Flour only, panko only, panko and flour, flour with eggwash, panko with eggwash, panko and flour with eggwash...

Meghan said...

I say a little egg might help... but I LOVE fried green tomatoes..usually use cornmeal... but this is a good idea.