Bed, Bath and Beyond's Creme Brulée Torch Set, which I "scored" for $20, has been giving me a royal headache since I bought the damn thing. Let me count the ways:
- Four 3-oz ramekins. This is a problem because:
- That's a pretty irregular size to replace when you break one, and
- BBB doesn't sell individual 3-oz ramekins. No one does - not Williams Sonoma (and they'd charge four times as much as BBB would), not any grocery store upscale or otherwise. I'll need to go to a restaurant supply warehouse to look some more. This is especially irritating because...
- ...the recipe that comes with the kit requires six 3-oz ramekins, or else it will overflow into the bain marie that you bake the custard in. I found this out the hard way, when I wasted at least two ramekin's worth of pre-baked liquid creme brulée by trying to get it to all fit in the ramekins and finding, instead, that it won't. Sure makes a nice creme brulée soup out of that bain marie.
- The sorest spot of them all: the torch. It is a cheap torch. I did indeed follow the directions exactly, noting when it sputtered, when it gave off no sound of gas at all, and when it worked perfectly. I got it working for one round of cremes brulées. For the second round, I pretty much just settled for custard with sugar on top.