Thursday, May 08, 2008

Low-fat, low-rise, strange taste...

Don't try this at home...because it's NASTY. And it has nothing to do with TC4's Andrew's culinary boner (ick).

I tried this recipe for two-ingredient low-fat cake where instead of the obligatory oil, eggs and water, you just add pumpkin from the can, then bake it and voila! It sounded easy and tasty: all you do is take a regular box of cake mix, low-fat preferably, and add a 15 oz can of pumpkin purée, bake as usual and there you go!

As I read some of the comments from those who had tried this recipe, I started having, um, second thoughts about doing it so straightforwardly. A few people gave helpful suggestions for making it better, or else just make them into muffins. It has the crumbly consistency of a large, cake-shaped muffin, as poiinted out by user "Kari", who gave it three stars:

Reviewed: Apr. 9, 2008

Good recipe, consistency a little crumbly, probably better as muffins than cake. I also added 1/2 cup water to the mixture...good overall though, will probably make again, because it is SO SIMPLE!
This five star review, from user "Pam W", proved more encouraging:
Reviewed on Nov. 7, 2005 by PamW

After reading the reviews I also decided to add 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 eggs and some canned cream till it was a little easier to spread. It was fanastic!! I love this recipe. I decided to use a jelly roll pan and make bars, topped it with cream cheese icing, and then poured carmel topping over it, all I can say is YUMMY!! I took it to work and it was gone within 5 minutes. I was trying to reproduce a recipe from a place called the Bread Basket. This was even better than theirs, :)
Okay Pam, I forgot the cream cheese. I was just going to use the standard Domino's vanilla buttercream frosting. But I did add the two eggs and a bit of water.
Thirty minutes later I took 'em out. Knife came out beautifully clean, as did the cakes themselves from their pans. I did notice they were a little, well, flat. no rise whatsoever.

And the flavor? Um, read what user "JERSEYGIRL" had to say (she gave it two stars):
Reviewed: Mar. 2, 2008

I love pumpkin but this was disappointing...I'm always looking for a healthier version of foods we love but this just didn't cut it. Maybe it would have been better with homemade icing to add a little something special...I'm sorry.
So don't try this. I mean, if all you have for dessert is a box of cake mix and a 15 oz can of pumpkin (and hopefully an egg or two), it does the job. But it doesn't do it well and you'll probably hand it the pink slip.


Kathy aka the Minx said...

That's what you get for attempting a low-fat cake! And why did the chick who used the cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and cream even bother with using a low fat recipe to start with?

Don't make low fat. Just eat smaller portions of good-tasting stuff. :)