Thursday, May 12, 2011

Tenderloin that falls apart!

I made a pork tenderloin in the slow cooker yesterday. I had not made one before so I scoured the internet for an interesting recipe. I went with one of those "generic recipes" on one of those "generic recipe sites" like AllRecipes.com. The one I went with, called "Amazing Pork Tenderloin in the Slow Cooker", uses garlic, soy sauce, red wine, water and a packaged onion soup mix. Sounds salty? It's not as salty as it seems. Commenters suggested tinkering with the cook time, which I tried at first - instead of four hours on LOW, I was set to do it on HIGH. Half an hour into it, I reset it and did the final 3 1/2 hours on LOW.

The pork tenderloin was tender. I would not call it "fork split" tender, which it wasn't unless you really push down hard on that fork. One thing that aggravated me, however, purely affected the aesthetics of the dish: when I took it out, the entire tenderloin split in half lengthwise. This in itself isn't such a problem, except that I was hoping to cut it into rounds and use them in a future recipe that I needed tenderloin rounds for. Ah well. At least it tastes good and isn't dry (it's definitely not dry), and was on sale.

0 comments: