Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to Burn a Pot of Anything

I am officially incapable of cooking anything on the stove in a covered saucepan without burning the hell out of it. I do not know why this happens to me, but it does. I set the fire as low as I can, leave it like the recipe says, then come back and find a charred mess on the bottom.

This happens all the time with rice. Tonight I was trying out Lundberg's Brown Rice Couscous, which I found at the Milk & Honey in Mount Vernon. Now y'all might be wondering "Oh my God, how in the world can anyone burn couscous!?" Well, the instructions say to cook the couscous over a low flame for 15 minutes before removing from heat,so it's not conventional couscous. But still, I had to leave it, and of course, it burned.

I have a theory: my stove hates me. I mean, I can only set the flame so low before I turn it off. And still it's not enough. So screw it: I'm microwaving everything - and if not I'm throwing it in the rice-cooker.

2 comments:

theminx said...

Do you have a kitchen timer? :)

Merut said...

I kept burning my food as soon as I bought stainless steel pans. It was a huge mystery to me. I thought with couscous you are supposed to boil the water, remove from the heat, add couscous, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. No? I think you are right. Your stove must hate you. Try petting it or talking to it in a soft voice.