Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Deer Stir Fry

I just finished stir-frying some deer that family cooked on the grill at a picnic this weekend. I absconded with about a pound of deer, sliced, and still a little too rare to eat, as well as some raw veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper, radish - the usual suspects.

For the stir fry, I mostly improvised. I started with a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the skillet, and added one small minced onion and a little kosher salt. After letting that get soft, I added the deer, cut up into small pieces. After a few more minutes, I added about 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and some veggies: the raw veggies from the picnic, along with two cloves of garlic thinly sliced and one small cubed green tomato (red will work too, but the green one stays firmer). I lightly salted the veggies and stir fried the whole mess for another five minutes. The deer was nice and tender and the veggies just crunchy enough. I could've made some rice, but instead I sliced up a sweet potato and am baking that in the oven with some rosemary and kosher salt.

I need a working camera again to take photos of this stuff.

0 comments: