Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back from New York...

I will write more at length later, but I have to say that this is the first trip I have made to the Big Apple where I was truly satisfied with everything I ate there. True, New York City is a foodie city. But it is easy to forget that those gems are buried in a lot of crap. Apparently, I have had a knack for finding New York's crap the last few times I have been there. Not this time! I took people's advice and recommendations before eating at most places, took an educated risk here and there, and found good stuff. Too much, in fact, to try on this one trip. I've made note of some places I must return to on the next trip up.

And the best part? No meal I ate in this crazy-expensive city cost me more than $25. In fact, only one cost me more than $15. This meant, of course, that I had to forego New York Restaurant Week, where I would be paying a base of $35 per meal before tax, tip and drinks. Had I done it, I was going to Periyali, one Greek restaurant in the Flatiron area that Roopa - formerly a Baltimore blogger and now at home in Brooklyn, NY - recommended to me (thanks, Roopa).

More about my eating experiences - in Chelsea, the East Village, Flatiron, the Upper West Side and Jackson Heights (that last one is in Queens) - soon.

2 comments:

Nanc Twop said...

Can't wait, sounds tasty!

roopa said...

Looking forward to reading about where you went! I'm going to wager a guess and say you went to Jackson Diner (amongst other places)?