Friday, February 20, 2009

Notes from the Wine Source

  • I've been noticing over the months that a few select beer companies are putting out a line of sodas. Saranac, from out of upstate New York, is selling a ginger beer. In fact, they say they've been selling soft drinks (root beer, ginger beer, cream soda) since 1888, putting about two years younger than Coke, and five shy of the oldest soft drink in America, Dr. Pepper. And Abita out of New Orleans is making a root beer. I just bought the Abita root beer; I'll drink it tomorrow.
  • Southern Tier Brewing Company sells a fairly large $10 bottle of its Choklit Stout. This should go quite well with the mild Amish bleu cheese I bought.
  • I saw a bright white wine for $8 (all I remember was the word "YOUNG" on the gleaming yellow label), and then the Brewer's Art's latest concoction, their Green Peppercorn Tripel for $9. I would've bought both had I the money.
  • And then I saw Bud may technically no longer be an American beer, but it still prides itself on being "America's lager." Which, I guess, is why there's a picture of three superstars from the (extremely English) Manchester United FC right behind it? Ah yes, Bud: Wayne Rooney's cheap American beer of choice.
  • Oh yeah, I need to get some Bailey's soon, don't I?

2 comments:

Brad said...

Southern Tier's Choklat Imperial Stout is considered by many to be one of the best beers in the world. I purchased about 10 big bottles myself and only open them on special occasions. Amazing stuff. Make sure you have a nice snifter glass to pour into and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

@Chodite: Southern Tier's Choklat Imperial Stout may be considered one of the best bears in the world but I don't think it deserves that title. it's not good enough to justify the price in my opinion.
O.