Saturday, May 03, 2008

Secret Menu GOLD!

I was checking out the Mighty Girl blog, published regularly by San Francisco blogger and author Margaret Mason (who wrote the very funny No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog - hey, what if all you write about is food!?). I just got the book from the Baltimore County Public Library. Check it out!

Anyway, she posted something yesterday that really caught my eye: secret menus of Bay Area restaurants. It started at the popular SF restaurant the Presidio Social Club (no I didn't get there last August), and then her search just went from there. Margaret even links to a page about the secret menus of national chains and fast food joints.

Y'all know where I'm going with this by now.

So how many Baltimore-area places have secret menus? I need to start exploring this question. If anyone knows of some, please let me know. I want to start a running tally.

2 comments:

jmc said...

I don't know if it is a secret menu per se, but Tio Pepe's apparently does a brisk off menu business. It was mentioned in an article in Baltimore magazine last fall (I think) that TP's best selling/favorite dish isn't one that is actually on the menu.

John said...

That would be kind of a secret menu item, one that is "off menu", so to speak.