Thursday, December 13, 2007

Turkey Spinach Masala with Coconut Basmati Rice

Well it's finally gone. The turkey I threw in the freezer from Thanksgiving - it's gone. Or almost at least. I got the idea to do a masala simmer sauce with the last half of a jar of Trader Joe's Masala Simmer Sauce.

Here's what the recipe looks like (I kind of winged it):

8 oz. masala simmer sauce (or any simmer sauce doesn't have to be TJ's)
4 oz. water
3/4 of one medium onion, chopped up
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 to 2 c turkey, cooked (mine was frozen) and ripped apart into pieces (told you I winged it)
1/2 to 1 c spinach, frozen
kosher salt

Put all ingredients into a large pot or pan and simmer on medium heat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I should've sauteed the onions and garlic first, but I was lazy. At least I did it with my rice. This recipe is adapted from the recipe on the other end of this link (what I changed is in bold)

1 tbsp canola, vegetable or corn oil
1 3" cinnamon stick, halved 1 T cinnamon
2 whole green cardamom pods
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion (I used the same onion and just used for the other recipe what I didn't use for this one)
2 5 whole cloves
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of water lite coconut milk

Heat oil in medium saucepan over high heat until almost smoking. Add whole spices and cook, stirring, until they pop. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add 1 1/2 cups water coconut milk and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer until all water has been absorbed, about 17 minutes. Let stand, covered, at least 10 minutes, fluff with fork, and serve.
Serves 4 as an accompaniment


And voila! Turkey masala with basmati rice. Now I have to find a use for that frozen green bean casserole.

Oooh, damn, didn't photograph it!

2 comments:

danielle said...

Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. I like the holiday snowflake layout.

John said...

Thanks! I wish I could remember what web page I found it at. If I can't just email me and I'll send it.