Sunday, December 02, 2007

Spinach-Buttermilk Quiche Lorraine

I found a use for the rest of the buttermilk I used for Thanksgiving - a quiche! I adapted this recipe from the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery's recipe for Quiche Lorraine, adding spinach and replacing the 1 cup of milk with buttermilk, decreasing the amount of bacon by half (no fun, I know), and frying up one clove of garlic and 1 shallot in olive oil and parsley (the stuff freezes better than I thought). Plus, I used up all that fancy cheese we bought for Thanksgiving and a few pieces I got at the Whole Foods in the Harbor (NB: soft cheeses don't cut well at all with a full metal cheese slicer, but they cut up magically with a wire one).

Because of copyright laws, I probably can't print anything else. But I can direct you to the recipe itself. Go to page 1529 in volume 10 (this is the first, 1966 edition, not the skimpier one they made in the 1980s). The books' not easy to find in stores, but you can pick up most volumes for free at the Book Thing (you probably won't find all of them all at the same time, but I've found a few assorted volumes the last time I went).

Anyway, I used a pre-baked pie crust, and (after baking it at 400 °F for 20 minutes, not 10 like the package says) added:

  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, plus
  • the garlic-shallot mixture I mentioned above,
  • 1/2 cup of frozen spinach (don't even need to thaw it),
  • 4 slices bacon (I got lazy and used the ready-to-eat kind, but heated it up in the microwave first and blotted off all the extra grease),
  • sprinkles of ground mustard and ground cayenne, and
  • a mixture of 3 whole eggs and 1 cup buttermilk.
I baked all that up at 375 °F for 45 minutes and it came out beautifully. Tasted even better. I might just have to use buttermilk in all my quiches from now on.

0 comments: