Friday, October 12, 2007

Make Your Meatloaf Even SWELLER, Er, MORE Swell!

I made a meatloaf the other night. I've been living off of it for the past few days and it's still a LOT of food. So I may still be eating it for a few more.

I didn't feel like getting all experimental and faincy, so I just used the recipe off the back of a box of America's Choice (Super Fresh brand) Onion Soup Mix. I did zhuzh it up but only a wee bit: to the following:

  • 2 c. meat (I used mixed beef and pork from Geresbeck's)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. bread crumbs (I used Italian, of some other brand)
  • 1 1/2 c. ketchup (I used reduced sugar)
  • and of course, 1 packet of onion soup mix
...and, I think, one or two other things (I don't have the recipe in front of me, alright?), I added two roasted jalapeños. I found one a few red ones along with the typical green (same fruit - they're just riper and milder, that's all), and used one of each. I deveined and seeded them, chopped them up and threw them into the mix. Then I mixed it all up, put it into a loaf pan and baked it all for 1 hour at 350°F. An hour later and it was done. Very moist, but the bottom crust was a little harder than I expected. It wasn't bad though.

Along with that I had some salad and some mashed potatoes. It's amazing how you can gussy up some boring old instant potatoes. I would have made them fresh, but I was tired. I had some fresh cilantro chopped up and in the freezer, and threw a few pinches into a pot of newly made, steaming mashed potatoes. Pretty tasty!

So that's what I will be eating for the next few days. Spicy meatloaf and cilantro potatoes. I'll think of some ways to redo it (salsa or spaghetti sauce on the meatloaf for example, or mashed sweet potatoes). We'll see.

0 comments: