Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hits for Commenters' Websites?

I didn't quite understand what this meant when I first read this. But it made more sense when I read it over again (and I'm supposed to be the techie in the family). I got the idea from Tallfreak.com (interesting blog). He points out that, basically, blogging websites by default block commenters on a blog from getting hits in places like Google or Technorati. The main reason is to deter spam - if lots of spammers were to leave comments, then each comment would create a Google hit for said spammer's website. I require authentication for commenters, and I moderate my comments anyway, so spammers don't even get through.

Enter the "Do-Follow" movement. Basically, bloggers in this movement (like Chris at Tallfreak) disable whatever code is in their Template. In Blogger (my blog engine), you actually have to go searching for that bit of code that says " rel='nofollow' " and get rid of it. There are somewhat different but similarly easy fixes in Wordpress and Movable Type (I don't know exactly how to do it in Typepad, but I'm sure you can do it). Once done, any commenter that leaves a comment gets a hit for his or her blog.

It seemed like a good idea, so I went ahead and deleted the " rel='nofollow' " from my template. So, starting today, if I've done things correctly, y'all will get a hit for your blog. And if it doesn't work? Well, no harm done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love! Do follow movement rawks! :)

John said...

Quite welcome, dude. And thanks for the idea! I never even knew this till I read your post.