Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pavlova Experiment

After the Amateur Gourmet's pavlova experiment (which I fell in love with), I wanted to make one of my own. So I did. I even used the recipe he used - Ina Garten's, right from the Food Network. Hers is a mixed berry topped pavlova. Mine was just plain. I only changed one thing from her recipe (which you can read after the link above): I added a teaspoon of rose water, just to make it interesting.

This was her pavlova, with the mixed berries and freshly whipped cream (courtesy of the Food Network):




And this one is mine, still on wax paper, sans berries and cream:



Taken with my camera phone, so it's not a great photo. But it was crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and shiny white, instead of golden brown (supposed to be white, though).

Maybe I did it correctly, but I could not get past the eggy flavor of it. It took me a little while to pin it down until I realized it! Perhaps the flavor is supposed to be eggy, perhaps not. But if it is, then I just don't like pavlova.

Food haiku:

If the Amateur
Gourmet is an amateur,
what the f#@% am
I?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Pavlovas are the new cupcakes.

John said...

Then those are some big damn cupcakes!

Rachel said...

pavlovas are so in now. I made some earlier in the season. Try making individual sized ones, it is easier. And shouldn't taste eggy at all.

John said...

Rachel: Thanks, I will give it a try!