Monday, May 07, 2007

Kashi Lime Cilantro Mush

Kashi - making the world better with healthy, natural foods. Ahhhhh.

Steer clear of at least one Kashi product: their Lime Cilantro Shrimp. This microwaveable frozen entrée that I had for lunch today had tastier shrimp than I expected - actually quite good for a frozen dinner. And its lime cilantro sauce was delicious, too. The veggies were, well, eh. But the one thing that detracted from everything else, so much so that it is the one thing that sticks out in my mind, is that cooked Kashi pilaf. This mix of soggy, mushy "whole oats, long grain brown rice, rye, hard red winter wheat, triticale, buckwheat, barley [and] sesame seeds [and water]" could use a better preparation than this. It turned out like a gritty, lumpy flavorless porridge.

They may be trying to get people hooked on delicious, healthy food, but they're not doing such a good job of it with their pilaf. Ick.

3 comments:

danielle said...

I'm sorry that your frozen entree hopes were dashed. Kashi pilaf does not sound good. I love the Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, but I do not think I would like it hot and mushy with Lime Cilantro Shrimp.

John said...

Same, yuck. I am NOT gettin' that stuff again!

Anonymous said...

I had this tonight... Of course, it IS a microwave-able entree...

Next time, I will pick out the shrimp 1/2 way through and throw them back in to "stand" at the end...

BUT - I WILL HAVE IT AGAIN... It was a very tasty dish. Mush?? I think not. I thought it was excellent - except that the shrimp was too done (duh).