Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Jolene Sugarbaker comes through for a cookie swap

It's time for another cookie swap at work, and I finally decided to tap into the wisdom that is Jolene!

The cookie of choice is her potato chip chocolate chip cookie. She used crushed Utz (look closely at that video; it's Utz) to make a crispy and crunchy cookie. My results were, well, a wee bit different. I got a cookie that was definitely not crispy, but kind of soft and a little less sweet than I thought I'd get. In fact, they were almost pastry-like. Part of all that has to do with the potato chips. But part of that, I think, also has to do with my substitution of Splenda sugar and brown sugar for the real stuff.

After I transcribed the recipe, I guesstimated that I would have to quadruple the recipe to make enough for all my coworkers (at least 20). Then I went ahead and bought all the ingredients. I knew I had some at home but to be on the cautious side, I bought them all, flour included. The total came to $70 (waaaah). That's not an expense I expected, especially after the NYC trip.

So here's the recipe as I transcribed it:

1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c oil
1 c butter
1 egg
1 T sour milk (or milk with a dash of vinegar)
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract
1 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
2 c Utz
3.5 – 4 c flour
2 c chocolate chips

Crush chips, and cream sugars and fats together. Next, mix in other ingredients, except for flour and chocolate chips. Separately mix in flour, then chocolate chips. Put on a baking pan, and make nice little balls and plop ‘em on the tray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until nice and golden brown.

I was in a hurry, alright?

I made a few changes, some deliberate, some not. First there was the whole Splenda thing. Also, in my first of two batches I replaced half of the chocolate chips with butterscotch chips, just to be different. That was totally accidental.

The first batch made about 50 cookies, but I needed more than that (each coworker gets four cookies, so that's 80 right there). Lucky for me I had enough to make four batches! Unlucky for me, though, that I spent so much money and only needed one more batch. Math was never my strongest subject. Actually scratch that - I was far worse in physics.

I churned out lots of cookies. Since I was using the folks' kitchen (mine is, well, puny) they were halfway interested in trying - eager because they were free cookies, not so eager because they had potato chips in them. They liked them. I was surprised, particularly because of the pastry-like brittleness of the cookie. Good cookie, but unusual. Very unusual because it's not that sweet. Again, may be due to the Splenda, but I'm not sure.


Fairfax said...

can't wait to hear the comments!