Thursday, January 18, 2007

How Do You Use Up Leftover Deer Meat?

Make deer quesadillas! Oh, dear.

Seriously, there was some deer meat in the fridge ready to be used up (a gift), and I had tortillas in the fridge, too. So I thought, "What the hell, why not?"

Quesadillas are a wonderful way to use up leftovers. Here's the recipe, which is not set in stone:

Two 9" corn or flour tortillas (I used flour, but only because I had no corn tortillas on hand)
Plentiful pinches of shredded cheese (about 1/2 to 1 cup, or to taste; I used Trader Joe's three cheese Monterrey Jack - Mozzerella - Cheddar blend)
Several pieces shredded deer meat (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup)
Several pieces shredded pork (form a pork roast from last week, same amount)
1 slice onion (mine was cooked with the deer)
Several slices of red bell pepper
Sprinkles of Trader Joe's chili oil (God, I am just finding more and more uses for this stuff)

Layer most of the cheese on one of the tortillas, followed by the meat, cheese and veggies, chili oil, and the rest of the cheese. Put the other tortilla on top, and bake for 350º F for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with more chili oil once out of the oven.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds good! I'm a fan of deer meat and other game but my wife doesn't dig it too much. Years ago I knew a guy who would go big game hunting up in Alaska each year and they would hunt moose. They'd have it all processed there and then sent down and I'd get moose steals, sausage patties, sausage links, hot dogs, steaks, ground, roasts, etc. Really good, lean and very tasty. I've been buying the occasional ground buffalo (great for burgers) and buffalo steaks whenever they're on super sale.

My SuperFresh (Lutherville/Timonium) tries to compete with Wegmans so they've introduced an organic and game section. I stopped by a couple times a week because nobody seems to buy much of it and you can get stuff on absurd sales. I was there the other day and bought three huge pieces of duck breast for $2 each and a couple pousssains (sp?) that also came in at a couple bucks each.

John said...

A game section? Cool! Any venison steaks or wabbit?