Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snowed In and Baking

I almost baked up a storm today. I did bake some Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Brownies. I just love that name. While most of what I buy at Trader Joe's is fabulous, lately I've been having problems with some of the mixes I have bought from TJ's. Plus, I've rarely had luck with reduced-fat brownie mixes. So I was a bit trepidatious about this mix to say the least.

This mix just needs 2/3 cup of lowfat vanilla yogurt. I did in fact have some plain yogurt in the fridge (the rest of the yogurt is straining in the fridge - I'm Greekifying it). Mix the two, and some vanilla extract if you use plain yogurt, and put it in a greased 8" square pan for about 22 to 27 minutes in a 325 degree oven. The mixing seemed fruitless at first, but sure enough it all came together after about a minute or so of stirring it with a fork.

These brownies are sticky. Lay your knife atop them and you will pull up a brownie-covered knife. But for something so sticky it sure is a stable brownie, When you slice it, it sure makes a mess but it all comes up in one piece anyway, deceptively neatly. Plus, it is a surprisingly moist brownie. What is best is that it does not have that weird "reduced fat brownie" flavor that so many other mixes have.

I did not bake anything else today. Almost made some gluten free bread from a mix, but I have enough bread for now.`

0 comments: