Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Because it's (the end of) Soft Shell Week

I have been busy lately, planning a bacon recipe for next week's bacon cookoff with Kit (Mango & ginger) and Kathy (Minx Eats) at Great Grapes (will be posting about that soon), as well as prepping a class to teach this week and, well, recovering from my vacation. But I forgot to mention that this week is SOFT SHELL CRAB WEEK here in Baltimore, hons! This article from the Huffington Post's Max Watman talks about his favorite way to grill softs.

Wait - GRILL!? Yes, he grilled them. He had a dozen softs, and separated them into three groups. From the article (his bullets):

  • I left the biggest and best crabs almost plain, with only a generous sprinkling of kosher salt.
  • Another four were soaked in a mix of 1/2 teaspoon of crushed ginger, 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha, 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce, and 2 tablespoons of seasoned sushi vinegar.
  • The last four were soaked in a more classic mix of the juice of half a lemon, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons of Old Bay.
His favorite was the simple crab with salt.

I dunno, dude. I still stick by the method my grandmother (God rest her soul) chose to fry up softs, and it isn't that messy: just clean the crab, dredge it in flour or fish fry (I always like to add some Old Bay) and fry it in butter. Put it between two slices of bread (preferably white) that has a little mayo or salad dressing on it.

1 comments:

Ravyne said...

Your Grandma was right - that IS the Baltimore way.....lol