Sunday, November 15, 2009

Foodie Potluck at Dara's House on Friday

Who says Friday the 13th has to be unlucky? It was quite a good night for a food blogger potluck dinner. And I have to thank Dara Fromm-Bunjon from Dining Dish for hosting this event that brought a lot of us together to talk and eat and drink and talk and eat. Sadly, I could not stay the whole time, since I teach on Saturday mornings (I'm underemployed, but at least I'm not unemployed). But I sure as hell got an eyeful of Dara's extensive cookbook collection (I saw only more than half of it), and my fill of conversation and food and food and food.

Did I mention there was food? And this was hardly all of it.
Photo courtesy of Sweet Mary


Since I'm still in a Food Ethnography mood, I made another helping of nataing, this time dispensing with the crispy jasmine rice cakes and just toasting up some French bread.

Everything was good, of course. There was nothing I didn't enjoy. Plus, Dara gave me a head's up about Szechuan peppercorns, which I might not have bothered to buy at yesterday's Waverly Farmers' Market. Seriously, they smell so wonderful it was like I was taking "hits" off of them.

Here is one more account of Friday evening's events from Mary over at the Sweet Mary blog. The photo is also hers. My dish is the Corningware dish in the back on the right, next to the French bread on the green plate. Mary has links to the blogs of everyone who came. I also think she's hosting the next one in January. More cupcakes, yes!!!

8 comments:

theminx said...

It was good to see you on Friday. I loved the nataing - I think it was my favorite dish of all. :)

Wendi said...

John, sorry you couldn't stay longer.

Your nataing was incredible. I'd ask you for the recipe but to be honest, I don't know that I could pull it off half as good as you did.

Wendi

John said...

Thanks, guys! It was much easier to make than you might think. the most tedious part, I think, is the thin slicing of all the garlic. You can find the cookbook I got the recipe from on Google Books or in the Baltimore County Public Library. It says to make crispy fried rice cakes, but I'm doing that to myself again, not for a while anyway!

Mary said...

Loved your dish!
I'll top the cupcakes, I swear!

John said...

Thanks, Mary. I loved the cupcakes!

LoveFeast Table said...

John, the dish was garlicky heaven! Total carnival in my mouth! Thanks for going to all the trouble! It was well worth it! And Mary...we area all on pins and needles!
Kristin

Wendi said...

John, I followed your links to bigoven.com for the recipe and wanted to find out if you used the New Mexico chili or if you subbed it out. The directions to soak then grind to a powder confused me.

John said...

I just used paprika instead. The one at bigoven.com isn't EXACTLY the same as the one in the cookbook, but the one at the 217.com is: http://the217.com/articles/view/nataing_offers_both_sweetness_and_spice