Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trader Joe's Whoopie Pies

I've never had a whoopie pie before yesterday. I don't think many Marylanders are familiar with them. They are a fairly New England/Pennsylvania Dutch phenomenon. Maryland is really part of the moon pie belt - as far as moon pies go at least, we're below the culinary Mason-Dixon Line. They are everywhere here, which may be why I always thought a whoopie pie was just a moon pie.

But damn, these whoopie pies I got at Trader Joe's are good. I don't know though. I might still like the moon pie just a little better. But if I didn't mind gaining weight, hell, I could eat more of these whoopie pies. And it's fun to say, too. They both are, aren't they?

3 comments:

viessmann poznan said...

I love chocolate cake ;) Whoopie Pies are so sweet and delicate. I hope I'll try those Trader Joe's examples soon.

John said...

I didn't know that whoopie pies had to be delicate - the ones at TJ's are pretty damn dense and solid. But I just saw that Whole Foods also makes them. I'll have to stop by and get one.

I wonder if I could make my own moon pie?

Wayne Hipley said...

Get the real deal at any of the Pennsylvania Dutch Markets in Maryland... http://www.padutchmarket.net/

All the baked goods are stellar, and the meats and cheeses are quite good