Saturday, March 28, 2009

Puffs and Pastries

After yesterday's wine tasting at The Wine Source, I stumbled (kidding) my way back to my car (damn meters...). Just as I was about to get in, I noticed a delicious smell. It was coming from Puffs and Pastries. I haven't had an occasion to go in, so I did. Very small former rowhouse with a couple of tables and chairs on the porch, converted into a little bakery. They were almost ready to close, but still had some good looking food. There was a large plate of massive, still-warm chocolate chip cookies. Since this was Hampden, I was expecting them to go for about six or seven bucks a pop. I'm talkin' cookies that are larger than DVD's here - about the size of one of those old 45's I used to buy in the late 80's (oh boy, now I'm dating myself). I was shocked to see the ridiculously reasonable price of $1.75! The merchant happily informedme, in no uncertain terms, that they only use butter - no shortening. And it tastes like it. What a wonderful cookie! And of course it ruined my dinner, but I brought some to my sister's house for her to taste. I was going that way anyway. I don't remember Cathy's reaction. She seemed to like it. I sure as hell did! Now how have I missed this place all this time?

8 comments:

rachel said...

It's my favorite place to get something to eat in Hampden -- they also have an AMAZING mozzarella/bacon/strawberry sandwich. And the desserts--! So, so much better than Dangerously Delicious Pies.... and more reasonably priced.

Rachel
Urban Discoveries Blog

Brad said...

Mmm, nice find!!

Noted on my Places-To-Visit-For-Sick-Desserts list.

P.S: check your email!

- brad / chodite
beerinbaltimore.com

nathalie said...

you have to try their chocolate cream puffs. HEAVEN.

Cathy said...

I did think it was a delicious cookie:)

John Houser III said...

Hey, great blog. I have added you to my favorite food blog section on my baltimore food blog. If you like my blog, feel free to add me as well. Its at www.rouxde.blogspot.com

Thanks and your blog is fun to read.
Cheers
John

Kim Ngo said...

Dealing with Anisha from Puffs and Pastries was such a bad experience! She cancelled on me for a tasting at the last minute and then stood me up for the rescheduled tasting. And this is when she had confirmed two hours before that she was coming. No phone call..and she avoided picking up her cell. Very unprofessional and RUDE. I went out of my way to be flexible and she wasted my time.

Puffs & Pastries said...

Thank you so much for the mention in your blog! Come back soon!

John said...

KN: Well I definitely had a good experience here, and they seem pretty friendly to me. Seems uncalled for to single the owner out by name.

P&P: You're welcome, I hope to come by at some point soon...