Friday, November 28, 2008

Cheap-as-Heck Food Gifts

You can see from my sheer drop-off of eatery reviews that I just don't eat out very much anymore. Plus, with all the food we have left over from yesterday (not nearly as much as last year's pig out fest), I will be eating leftovers all weekend.

I am also, finally, letting myself start getting into the Christmas/holiday season. I am one of those people who militantly tunes out the holiday sales that start around Halloween, and I am that guy that bitches whenever he sees Christmas candies pop up the week of Thanksgiving. Well, Thanksgiving is now officially over, so finally it is now the time to get your season's greetings on!

Unlike last year, when I spent too much on Christmas gifts, I won't be doing it this year. I can't. I just don't have the resources, as most of us do not. In fact, some forecasters say the shopping season is already over since retailers never got to move the merchandise they are used to having gotten rid of well before Christmas. But even with the discounts, I just don't have it to spend.

So instead, I think I'll just give some food gifts. If I don't buy them - which would defeat the purpose of not buying gifts - then I may just make them. Sure, I'd have to buy some of the ingredients, but I already do have others around.

Anyone planning to do something food-related to replace gifts this year?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally doing food gifts this year! I'm only buying gifts for CJ. But I love to cook, so it's kinda a gift for me too (an excuse to try out some new recipes:)

John said...

Oh, you signed up for an account then!

nathalie said...

i think i'm gonna be baking a variety of cookies/treats for people this year. i need to start hunting around for pretty tins to put them in, too.

Pigtown*Design said...

chocolate drizzled pretzels.