Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Crème Brûlée in Beer Form


Look what I found on my last trip to the Wine Source: Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout from the Southern Tier Brewing Company in Lakewood, NY. The guys at Wine Source swore that it tastes just like crème brûlée. To me, it tastes almost like it, but that's pretty close. It's a typically bitter stout with a fascinating sweet, rich, burnt sugar finish that is heavy on the vanilla flavor. That would probably be due to its being brewed with vanilla beans.

If you drink it with crème brûlée, as I did, then you'll notice the difference between two most clearly. Better instead to drink it with something else. Or just accept that it's not exactly the same and consume them together anyway. Either way, you can only get it in a 650 mL / 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle, which goes for $9. So pony up the cash and use a wine stopper to cap the rest for later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They had this on draft at Mahaffey's over the weekend.  No idea whether they still do but it was astounding while it lasted.  Will have to seek out a source for bottles.  Yum

The Baltimore Babe said...

This LOOKS great, maybe I'll stop in Mahaffey's before my way over to my friends...