Tuesday, May 06, 2008

From the "Paula Deen ain't got NUTHIN' on these people" files

Every few months, a new "Secret Dietary Info That the Restaurants Hide From You" article comes out.

Here's this season's installment. It offers the first encouraging bit of news I've ever seen in one of these articles: that any restaurant operating at least fifteen locations must post caloric and other dietary information for its foods. The downside: this is only in New York City, which is three hours away by car or train (four hours by bus, Chinatown, Greyhound or the DC-to-NYC BoltBus that I've been reading about lately. Apparently it has wireless!). Still, it's discomforting to know that TGI Friday's Potato Skins comes in at over the entire recommended daily allowance for an average-sized adult: 2,270 calories (but only if you eat them all). Their Double-Stack Quesadillas and Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad are less obnoxious, coming in at 1,670 and 1,360 calories respectively.

As Leslie Ann put in a very astute comment a while back, this is why Americans are fat.

My left arm hurts just reading this.

6 comments:

Summer said...

Yesterday I looked up nutrition info on Au Bon Pain's website before heading out to lunch. It lets you "assemble a plate" and gives you a total so you can figure out if you have room for a chocolate croissant or whatever... so I picked out what I wanted, prepped with the caloric total, and went down the street to buy it. They didn't have it. Not anything on my list! So I picked out something else, which ended up being ok, but ANNOYING! I mean come on, can't they like figure out inventory too? and link it to location? that would be sweet! Or just post it on the item... radical idea, I know. ;-)


Oh, and I went to the BIGGER ABP today and they did have what I wanted. I'll go there from now on.

John said...

Ain't that always the way though? Oh my

David Dust said...

As a New Yorker, the LAST thing I want to see on the McDonald's menuboard is how much MORE of a lardass I'm gonna be after I get done with my Big Mac value meal (no pickle - extra cheese). But I guess that's the whole point...

John said...

Then the city will probably force the Micky D's to offer a complementary copy of Super Size Me with every Big Mac!

Anonymous said...

And what is funny is when you think you getting something healthy and it actually the worst on the menu.

I read that the bran muffin (I think) at Starbucks is worse than many other items in their case.

AND have you noticed that they print calories in the case, but not fat grams. Sneaky.

John said...

And I'd be even more worried about that if Starbucks was, like, on every corner... oh wait. They ARE on every corner. AAAAARGH!