Friday, November 16, 2007

Christmas Questionnaire

I got this idea from Chris at Tallfreak.com, who nabbed it from his buddy Shane. Some Christmas chrestions, er, questions! I'd start an internet meme and tag some fellow readers, but I'm not really sure how to do that. So anyone want to provide their own answers? If so, put it on your blog!!! (If you have none, leave some comments here.) Thanks, Chris, I hope this is cool!

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?

Hot chocolate – never got into egg nog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

I don’t know about that Santa bitch. I either just sit them under the tree or else give them to my youngest sister Samantha, who likes wrapping them.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

De colores – especially with the chili lights, awww yeah.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Usually after the fall semester is over, because I’m too damn busy to do so until then (so about the week before Christmas)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Whatever flaky recipe I’m experimenting with at the time. Or ham.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

Waking up at 3 in the morning with my sisters and opening everything that my mother had just finished wrapping (my father never wrapped; in fact, he often worked at night so he got out of playing Santa altogether)

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

One day I just figured it out, I guess.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Nope. Never.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Naked. No, just kidding! I set up the fake tree (I got it at a ridiculously low price when Frank’s Nursery and Crafts closed down a few years ago – an $85 tree for 17 bucks), and then just throw everything on after that.

11. Snow: love it or hate it?

Love it, as long as it doesn’t make things difficult on the road. Ice, though, is evil.

12. Can you ice skate?

Can pigs fly?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

No, but I had a few, in no particular order, all as a child:

· Cyndi Lauper’s She’s So Unusual and True Colors cassettes (yes, Chris, I got that, too);

· The whole series of Fraggle Rock dolls, including Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Redd, Uncle Travelling Matt AND that dog Sprockett;

· A fancy new family-sized Bible (yes, a Bible - I was a good, neurotic Catholic boy – I liked the smell more than anything else because it was bound in leather. There’s something wrong with me, I know);

· A brand-new telescope from Montgomery Ward's;

· Socks – just kidding;

And two from the last few years:

· The first season of 24, back when it didn’t suck;

· A nice, warm leather jacket, which I wore all over London last New Year’s season. Smelled like that Bible.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Hanging out with family and friends, and actually getting to relax for a change. I also usually do some traveling, though not this year (not that far anyway)

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Chocolate truffles from Trader Joe’s (I always mail some to my study abroad “foster family” in Morelia for Christmas)

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Three words: Christmas Story marathon!!! Also listening to a Christmas mix tape that I made about ten years ago. I tried transferring it to MP3, but the sound quality isn’t that great.

17. What tops your tree?

Used to be my grandmother’s antique angel, made when plastic was first being used for Christmas decorations way back in the 40's or 50's. But since it’s fallen apart, a star usually goes up there.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

Each has its merits. But since Chris at Tallfreak turned that corner, so shall I: Giving!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

I’m a Christmas Tree! by Wild Man Fischer and Dr. Demento

20. Candy canes:

Don’t like them

21. Favorite Christmas movie?

A Christmas Story, hands down (also see number 16)

22. What do you leave for Santa?

I don’t

8 comments:

kris said...

look at what the sun cooked up using the city's data

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link cred! I love your answers! Who knew we both shared the same love for Cyndi as a child!? lol

John said...

I chalk it up to good taste :)

Pigtown*Design said...

i just put this on my page, too.

John said...

I am checking it out right now.

Anonymous said...

I make Ed wrap all the presents. But I address and stress over the Christmas cards.

John said...

I am a slacker - it has been a long time since I've done Christmas cards (bad etiquette, I guess; I should get back into the habit)! Hopefully I'll get inspired to do it. Thanks for planting the idea back in my head :)

crabapple said...

Speaking of Trader Joe's candy, try Trader Joes dark chocolate caramels w/ sea salt, yummy!!