Saturday, October 27, 2007

Yes, Wednesday, they are made with real Girl Scouts


Someone didn't tell me it was Girl Scout Cookie time already. But I guess that explains why one co-worker has a sign-up sheet on her office door with the words "Yes! I have Girl Scout Cookies!" emblazoned above it. Now I have to figure out how to deftly dodge the little vultures when they inevitably start popping up at the supermarket.

Personally, I think it's great to teach girls and young women these important entrepreneurial skills - they need to know they can do anything they damn well want to (look at Hillary, whatever one thinks about her). But I still don't want to buy the goddamned cookies!

On a related note, I saw the strangest thing today at a gas station on the way to visit the folks: three little girls - or it might have been two little girls and a little boy - dressed as Girl Scout Cookies. Perhaps it was just for Halloween. But not at any time in my 30+ years on this earth have I ever seen a child dressed as a Girl Scout Cookie (the photo above, of the scary little girl being consumed by a Lemonades cookie, is directly linked from the Girl Scout Cookie Program website - I don't think I can ever bring myself to eat another Girl Scout Cookie again after seeing that). Strange. But at least it gives me an excuse to post this:

From The Addams Family Movie (1991):

Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?
Wednesday: Yes.
Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?
Pugsley: Yes.
Girl Scout: Well, I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ed got taken in by some girl selling last season's girl scout cookies.

I told him it is there is a market for everything. Even last season's girl scout cookies and the people who get taken in by them. (More on that is a private conversation.)

John said...

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the exact same thing! Stale, even second-hand Mint Thins. There truly is a market for everything! :)

Marianne said...

Hmm.. I love Girl Scout Cookies. I didn't realize there was a backlash against them. If it's any consolation, I never buy them. They are a rip-off but I still think the Thin Mints and Samoas are tasty.

John said...

No backlash really, though to me they've always been pretty average cookies (the peanut butter ones and the chocolate-coconut ones were always good though, and I could never get into the Thin Mints). And I guess there are worse things than every 3rd, 4th and 5th grade girl in the United States accosting you and every other person over the age of 16 with pleas to buy their damn cookies (at least they're not getting into trouble). But it does get a little tiring after a while!