Friday, August 17, 2007

Restaurant Ratings Online!

I wish we had something like this in Baltimore. Or if we do, I wish I knew about it! San Bernardino County, "the largest in the lower 48," has its restaurant health ratings online. The Papaya Bay, where I ate on Wednesday, got an A. In fact, most places scored that high in Yucaipa. LA County has the same system - and I'm a little ick'd out by Monterey Park dimsummerie Ocean Star's B rating. Doesn't appear that Riverside County shows this information online yet. I'll have to search Baltimore City and County websites for this kind of info.

Ooh, I just noticed that the City does have info on restaurants that have recently been shuttered due to health code violations, but that's it. Found nothing on Baltimore County's website.

6 comments:

acw said...

Ew... "Shirley's Honey Hole" in Baltimore was on that list.

Worst restaurant name ever.

Pigtown*Design said...

Welcome home, hon!!!

John said...

**SIGH** Yep, home.

kris said...

Thanks for the link!

Marginal Foodie said...

Thanks for the good post. There is excellent research suggesting that posting these ratings is good for consumers (who feel more confident eating out knowing they are going somewhere clean) and good for restaurants (who therefore get more business on average).

“The Effect of Information on Product Quality: Evidence from Restaurants Hygiene Grade Cards,” Ginger Zhe Jin and Phillip Leslie, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 2003, 118(2) 409-51.

I'll be sure to blog about this sometime soon.

John said...

Geisha: YW :)

Foodie: YW also! Of course, what you say makes perfect sense. Who would want to walk into a restaurant with a big fat "C" on it?

Interesting blog (in a good way, I mean)! I like the "price-quality frontier" graph.