Friday, June 01, 2007

Maybe I'm just eating out too much? Pt. 2 of 2: Mylos Restaurant

The Paper Moon Diner was fabulous, and I MUST drag as many friends there as possible - it's just that fun! But I had more food to follow me the next day, before, again, getting rear-ended.

Mylos Restaurant - Today was not kitschy or rainbowy like the Paper Moon. A longstanding "dinner club" meeting with my sister and some of her coworkers (some of my ex-coworkers) kept on getting postponed, until finally tonight. The place? Greektown. The restaurant? Well, originally it was to be Greek Islands, which got rave reviews in the City Paper. But today I found out, being the first one there, that the place doesn't exist. Its address does not exist! Probably subsumed by the next door Mylos Restaurant. This bar-restaurant gave my friends and I some tasty homestyle Greek food! My pork souvlaki ($11) was so tender, and the pita wrapped around it was good, too. Along with it came fries and a large salad with feta, fresh tomatoes, pepperoncini and olives. The others got equally exceptional baked salmon, gyro and spinach pie (spanakopita) plates (Mmmm. Spanakopita.)

And the desserts? DAMN! The proprietor saw that we couldn't decide, so she let us order four different ones and share them. The best, in my opinion, was the kadaifi (shredded wheat in honey), but there was also an excellent galaktoboureko (custard). The carrot cake was delicious, with a cream cheese icing that had an unusual flavor (in a good way). Underwhelming was the baklava, but that's only because the others outshone it so brightly, and there are so many variations of baklava that I very rarely enjoy it anywhere. Also not as exciting as I had hoped, the avgolemeno (egg and lemon) soup didn't taste very lemony, though the other flavors were there.

The bill for four of us came to $89! We left a large tip, via both credit card and cash (I think the grand total came to about $115). I have to admit, I was worried at first when I didn't find the place I thought I would. In the end, I didn't need to be.

0 comments: