Sunday, May 13, 2007

Amateur Gourmet as Trip Planner

Lately, I've been checking out the Amateur Gourmet - mind out of the gutter, he's dating someone - for some culinary ideas for my impending trip to NYC on Memorial Day weekend. (I've given up on Chowhound.com - that site is just weird and user-unfriendly now). I have to admire Adam. He doesn't give a damn what people think when he whips out his camera and photographs his food. Me, well, that's why I bought a camera phone!

Anyway, I know of one place I won't be visiting. Check out this utterly forgettable restaurant called Stand in Manhattan's Union Square (another Adam, at A Hamburger Today, had a memorably bad experience with the bun, though he seemed to like the meat). He would've told his readers where it was, but as he said, he forgot. He did love their toasted marshmallow milkshake, but that was it. I'm not going to spend 90 minutes getting lost on the New York subway again just to find some damn milkshake!

Totally random thought, by the way: Gosh I love the subways in Washington, London and Mexico City. They are so efficient! The one in New York, though, is utterly confusing. Bad, bad subway. It's weird that Mexico City, a city much larger than NYC, has such a more user-friendly metro system. To me, at least.

But at least New York has a subway, instead of the thing we have. I hope the guv and the DC mayor do eventually link up the light rail or at least Penn Station to the DC Metro. Just more convenient than the MARC Train for me.

0 comments: