With today's trip to both the farmers' market (where I got these delicious strawberries) and my garden plot at Clifton Park (where I got all that gorgeous lettuce and that baby red onion), I decided to save myself $20 to $30 for a meal out tonight, and instead had a relatively free meal in. Okay, so I had to pay to rent the garden plot, and for the lettuce and onions to plant, and for the strawberries. But when all is said and done my one meal tonight probably cost me a few dollars compared to the cost of eating out.
- enough lettuce leaves to fill a medium sized salad bowl (about 20 to 30 large lettuce leaves)
- handful of in season strawberries (oh God, PLEASE not those flavorless "strawberries" from the supermarket), quartered if big, halved if small, & thrown in whole if tiny
- one large or two-three small spring onions (mine was one large red spring onion), sliced - use both the tops and bottoms
- handful of basil and oregano leaves
- balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
That was easy enough, wasn't it?