Monday, April 05, 2010

The Urban Farming Experiment


I recently rented a plot of land at the urban garden at Clifton Park. It's part of the Baltimore City Farms project, to get people to start growing their own food. I haven't planted anything in years, not since I lived in SoCal (what about that earthquake, huh?) and had a little yard I grew things in. So I am going to start small, first by setting up the plot (in the process now) and then planting in it. A friend who has been growing stuff there for years recommended Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening, now in a new edition! I'm finding it helpful.

I've started some seeds inside, and I'm trying to figure out exactly where to leave them in my apartment. For now I've put the seed starters in my kitchen window. I am growing Romas, chili peppers, bell peppers and catnip indoors. Will try plant carrots, lettuce and onions outdoors.

2 comments:

HowChowBlog said...

I love Square Foot Gardening! It's brilliant, and it actually makes thing easier because I just plant the right amount of stuff.

One thought: How many tomato plants are you growing? Seedlings started in a window can be very spindly. Sometimes, they never grow robustly. I have the full indoor growlight set up, but I have decided to just buy plants because I only need eight tomatoes. I get 5-6 different varieties. If your seedlings are spindly, consider buying a few plants.

I shifted, and I'm buying stuff that you can direct seed -- chard, beets, lettuce and peas. Peas are terrific. I put all that stuff in the ground last weekend.

Also -- I'm having crazy comments on the blog. Almost makes me consider moderation. Some that certainly look like restaurant employees trying to pump their place. At last they should spell correctly.

John said...

I don't know how long I need to keep those maters in their seedling container. I also am not sure exactly when to transplant them!

I do have direct-seed stuff, like lettuce and broccoli. I was hoping to go by today and sow that today, and maybe some garlic or shallots.

I rarely get comments anymore. Maybe if I didn't moderate the blog I would get more. But it is nice to not get lots of annoying spammers or bigots like some other blogs get.