- the jalapeño chili wimps out at a mere 8,000 Scoville units.
- Tabasco sauce tops out at an anemic 50,000 Scovilles.
- The mighty habanero, long feared by me and almost anyone else who values his or her mouth, registers at a mere 350,000 at the max (typically only 100,000).
- And the bhut jolokia? About 1,000,000 Scovilles. That's anywhere from 3 to 10 times as intense as any habanero you might pick up at your local supermarket.
- Very very few things are hotter than the bhut jolokia, but nothing that you'd deliberately put in your mouth: pepper spray is about 5,000,000 Scovilles - about 5 times as hot as the bhut jolokia. But you're not going to eat that.
Perhaps this gentleman, identified as farmer Digonta Saikia from Assam state, India, can take the heat. As for me? Um, I'll get back to you on that.