Sunday, September 06, 2009

Recession Watch: Should I add ads to the blog?

As I have Tweeted earlier, I've been leery of adding ads to this blog. For me it has always been a hobby and nothing more. A somewhat pricey hobby at times, but still a hobby. As some of you know, I am on the hunt for a full-time job. In the meanwhile, an extra source of income might not be bad. But I know that it won't bring in very much if any revenue, so is it really worth the trouble to clutter the site with ads when it won't make more than a handful of coins a month?

BTW, if you plan to spam the comments, my email or my Twitter feed with "revenue-making" "offers" I will eagerly delete them without a second thought. Sometimes I don't even read it, and I never click on links in unfamiliar emails sent to me.

7 comments:

Chad said...

eh, I would say that it's not worth the trouble. You would need thousands of users per day to produce even a meager amount of money. You could always try to freelance for a few online food sites?

Starcire said...

If your looking for a way to make good money go to http://machinistmate.blogspot.com. There is an article on there you may be interested in.

Brad said...

I'm in the same boat. But with only a few hundred hits per day, I'm not sure it's worth it. Either way, Google Adsense is free and you can always play around with different sized text ads to see how they look. I recently did it and am still tweaking. Not expecting much though, but hey - domain names and hosting ain't free!

HowChow said...

I'm with Brad. Adsense is free, and the ads aren't intrusive. I have made $100. Certainly not worthwhile on a "per hour" basis, but it covered a little food-related splurge.

theminx said...

I am monetized up the wazoo (Google Adds, Amazon banners, LinkExchange ads, etc. How much have I earned over the past year? Exactly $0.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how much they might bring in, but I say why not (assuming it's not much trouble).

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

Why not? I agree with HowChow- I've never found ads intrusive on any blog, even my own.
Maybe you can use the extra money for gas when you continue your Snacking Along the Beltway series! :)