Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little Mouse Bastard...

I told y'all I'd be posting more by weeks' end.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with a mouse running around. I have lived in this apartment for about a year and a half, and have so far managed to avoid anything worse than a spider or the occasional bee flying in through the window. But this mouse has gots ta go.

A few things I found today while spending $17 on one of those ultrasonic noise makers that hurts little micey's ears but is imperceptible to people, pets and plants (those things have worked for me before):

  • The little buggers are repelled by mint (that I knew) and also by bay leaves (that I did not know). Maybe that's why I haven't found any droppings or remnants of a little "mouse party" in my pantry. Still, I went out and bought large ziploc bags to put all my boxed foods in, just to be proactive.
  • They also fear the scent of fox urine. Pyoo, so would I. But it seems that they make mouse-repelling things with the scent of fox - a natural predator of the mouse - pee in it. Can't imagine why I'd want that around me though.
  • Chili pepper spray does the trick, too.
I still bought one of those "mouse motels" that I put a blob of peanut butter into. It's away from the windows, so that it won't attract that other obnoxious pest, the ant.


Jim said...

Well, Fox Urine makes me run for cover ( or new shoes?!) too. And keep the cayenne pepper handy. It works good on most anything.


Speedy Gonzales

(aka Haggis)

Dan said...

We had a mouse issue earlier this year. Little varmints were getting in behind the stove but I was able to seal that off and, um, eliminate the problem. Good luck.

Kristin said...

seriously, I can recommend a great exterminator...lived with them too long in a previous residence and can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't hire a professional sooner.