Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little Mouse Bastard...

I told y'all I'd be posting more by weeks' end.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with a mouse running around. I have lived in this apartment for about a year and a half, and have so far managed to avoid anything worse than a spider or the occasional bee flying in through the window. But this mouse has gots ta go.

A few things I found today while spending $17 on one of those ultrasonic noise makers that hurts little micey's ears but is imperceptible to people, pets and plants (those things have worked for me before):

  • The little buggers are repelled by mint (that I knew) and also by bay leaves (that I did not know). Maybe that's why I haven't found any droppings or remnants of a little "mouse party" in my pantry. Still, I went out and bought large ziploc bags to put all my boxed foods in, just to be proactive.
  • They also fear the scent of fox urine. Pyoo, so would I. But it seems that they make mouse-repelling things with the scent of fox - a natural predator of the mouse - pee in it. Can't imagine why I'd want that around me though.
  • Chili pepper spray does the trick, too.
I still bought one of those "mouse motels" that I put a blob of peanut butter into. It's away from the windows, so that it won't attract that other obnoxious pest, the ant.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Well, Fox Urine makes me run for cover ( or new shoes?!) too. And keep the cayenne pepper handy. It works good on most anything.

Toodles,

Speedy Gonzales

(aka Haggis)

Dan said...

We had a mouse issue earlier this year. Little varmints were getting in behind the stove but I was able to seal that off and, um, eliminate the problem. Good luck.

Kristin said...

seriously, I can recommend a great exterminator...lived with them too long in a previous residence and can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't hire a professional sooner.