Friday, April 17, 2009

Sake, Sake Everywhere (Post #999)

I enjoyed a variety of sakes (brewed like a beer but drunk like a wine) and distilled rice drinks (shochu, the Japanese cousin of Korean soju) this evening at the Wine Source. It was packed - even bigger than most wine tastings I have seen there. It was also great to see the Wine Source finally stocking soju, though I preferred the shochu this evening. A few other things that took me by surprise:

  • It's more difficult to find good cheap sakes than good cheap wines. I define "cheap" for wines (and in this case, sakes) as $15 or less for a full-size bottle. Unless you want a teensy widdle bottle, expect to shell out at least $20, more likely $30.
  • They've got a good variety of sakes, including a small line of sparkling sakes produced in the US
  • The first sake I tasted had a very faint egg taste, but I mean that in a good way. I know it sounds strange but that's the best way I can put it.
I did leave with one of the cheaper large bottles. Ty Ku is a "super premium" Junmai Ginjo sake, which according to its makers is "hand crafted in the traditional Japanese method, produced for the palate and cuisine of the modern consumer." It's also $5 off this week, normally $25 but selling at $20 for the time being. I have to admit that the sleek shape and look of the bottle was also a factor in my purchase.

Oooooh. Ty ku, ty ku?

4 comments:

Nanc Twop said...

I've never looked for sake in a store, only had it in when out...

Did the sake tasting include the Ty Ku bottle that lights when you pick it up?

John said...

NT: Nope, just that sleek black bottle

web design miam said...

Sake is delicious. Although after one unfortunate party that involved a couple bottles I'm trying to stay as for away from it as possible.

Miami SEO said...

I used to not be a fan of Sake, but this was amazing. Hard to come by.