Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Victory Gardens? Hmmm, now THAT'S an idea...

I'm surprised at how many food articles one can find on political websites. Take the Huffington Post, for example. This site founded by former "also-ran during the 2003 California recall" Arianna Huffington occasionally posts things about food, usually tied somehow to politics. Buried somewhere under a tidbit about the First Lady's plan to promote healthy eating is a post about fighting the recession the Greatest Generation way: by starting your own Victory Garden! The crop to start out with: strawberries. This is a phenomenon that has been going on for a while now. Look what I found just by Googling "modern victory garden" just now! My ex-landlords, who up and moved from Redlands, CA, to somewhere off the Great Cherokee Lake in Oklahoma have a gorgeous garden growing on their lovely lakefront property. And since I have more land than the typical apartment renter in Baltimore City, I think I may have to try this. The Dallas News did a story explaining how.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can get behind this idea. Growing your own strawberries is the most delicious hobby ever!