Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I. Hate. Verizon.

I fondly remember the conversation I had with the DirecTV lady about signing up for Verizon's stand-alone wireless internet that doesn't require an active phone line to use (I just use my cell phone). She told me it would only take 48 hours for Verizon to get back to me to confirm that my connection was active.

That was 288 hours ago.

One of those most recent hours (I think it was #287) I spent talking to a very apologetic woman from India who referred to herself as "Beverly" trying to get in touch with the tech support people, only to keep me on hold for 20 minutes, have to hang up, and call me back 10 minutes later just to tell me that they closed at 5. But she couldn't give me their direct number because - and these were her own words, y'all - "They are really 'customer unfriendly **GIGGLE GIGGLE**'." I'm glad I'm not a violent person, or these tech support people would know what "customer unfriendly" really means.

So that's why, at hour #288, I'm sitting in my car in the parking lot at Towson University, hoping that all the rain-soaked people running to and from the gym don't think I'm a pervert just because I'm on my laptop, in my car in the parking lot at Towson University.

Too bad I didn't have internet access in my place (The neighbor's unsecured wireless connection? "Limited Connectivity"). I was reading Adam Roberts' summary of his demo at the Book Festival and I saw that he gave a quick review of his pasta sauce recipe. I tried it out tonight. It didn't go the way I had planned (I'll write about it tomorrow, when I can find a proper internet connection that doesn't require sitting in my car). He also has his review of Obrycki's, which Elizabeth, Julie and I all recommended that he try out on Saturday. Plus, you'll get to find out which he liked better: blue or Dungeness (he liked both, but I'll let you find out for yourself).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah we have the verizon internett without a phone line......... It took us two weeks to finally get connected.

I'd start visiting the library if I were you.

Anonymous said...

Obviously this would be wrong, however: if you get the "limited connectivity" message, try doing a "repair" on your connection. Sometimes that clears it right up.

...Uh, I've heard.

jbeeney said...

I understand how you feel. I placed an order for FioS over the 'net and my order apparently got "lost." I had to wait over 1 1/2 months to finally get service.

DVZ said...

you ain't the only one:

http://pissonverizon.blogspot.com