Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baltimore Cupcake Company

Yes I made it over to the Baltimore Cupcake Company this weekend. I've been meaning to make it out to the various area cupcake shops because, hell, I like cupcakes. Just as BMore Sweet puts it, "It's pink, it's cute, it's pretty girlie". And inside you find a few trays of lots of cupcakes in a modest amount of varieties. The selection changes from day to day.

Various area bloggers have had mixed experiences with BCC. Before fleeing for San Fran, Xiao Zhu at Curiously Ravenous had a not-so-satisfying time with their cupcakes, since she got there after the selection had been seriously weeded down and because of the $3 per cupcake price tag.

There are pros and cons. The pros to BCC: the cupcakes that I got - both from their "truffle" line - were very good. I got two ($6 total), one with chocolate icing with a dollop of peanut butter frosting on top of that, and one of pink vanilla icing. Again, the cupcakes I had were delicious, and not dry. I also like the changing variety in cupcakes - chocolate, raspberry, vanilla, key lime, etc. On the con side: $3 for a cupcake? I could get a much fancier (though somewhat drier one) at Whole Foods for that much, though Whole Foods' frosting, while fancier, is arguably denser and more sugar-shock-inducing. And even though I didn't experience this, I've read a few comments and posts elsewhere that suggest that they run out of some of their best cupcakes fairly quickly. So all in all, I did like it. It is a tasty cupcake, though a fairly plain one. No it doesn't have to be fancy. But at $3, you expect it to be a little more zhuzh'd up. Oh, they also had tiny coconut cupcakes for about $1.50 or so. I would go back, though I tend to buy a few cupcakes at once. At $3 a pop, I probably will just go back once in a while.

Next stop, when I have the time: Charm City Cupcakes. Want some insight into the place? Check out Meg's post from Pigtown Pigout the June before last.

Baltimore Cupcake Company on Urbanspoon

Listen to this post as an MP3

3 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Gawdddd. it's mostly just me whinging!

John said...

Yes, but it's still insight, even if it's only to mention that you needed something sweet to cheer you up.

K8teebug said...

I think their cupcakes are lackluster.

Btw, they do have a cupcake HH each day when they're 1/2 price.