Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wun Big Happy, Hon

Baltimore-bred cartoonist Rick Detorie assaulted America with Bawlmerese (or more formally, Bawlamerese) this pat Sunday with his latest color installment of One Big Happy, which would be really funny on TV, at least as a half-hour special. Here is Ruthie's annoying friend James, speakin' like any kid you knew in your forf grade in Dundock, Hollantan, Pigtan, Linficum or Hamdin.* Click on it for the full-size version.

* Translation: "speakin' like any kid you knew in your fourth grade in Dundalk, Highlandtown, Pigtown, Linthicum or Hampden."

3 comments:

jmc said...

As a non-native Baltimoron, it took me years to realize that the Hollandtown I kept hearing about was the same place as Highlandtown. An old boss (native Baltimoron) told me once that he had a similar disconnect as a teen when he realized that the neighborhood name he'd been saying for years was spelled differently and should correctly be pronounced otherwise.

theminx said...

When I was a kid, I thought it *was* "Holland", until I learned to read. Then I noticed the sign for "Highland Avenue" and realized that all the grown-ups I knew were bozos.

I still chuckle when I recall what my husband's neighbor said when her granddaughter overturned her tricycle into the petunias..."get outta mah flares!" she yelled.

Pigtown*Design said...

That is scary...

I had a friend who dated some chick from Highlandtown, and when I met her and asked where she lived, she said "Hollandtayn... that ain't Dutch, ya knayo." Took me about a week to figure out what she was talking about.