Monday, June 16, 2008

More Dessert Fun with Bacon!

I know I was particularly grossed out when Richieboy made a bacon ice cream - ick - for his dessert on the season finale of Top Chef. I was also astounded when the judges liked it (but not in the incredulous way that Lisa remarked about all the "shit" he made that the judges still liked better than her actual shit).

So imagine my surprise when I heard about Vosges Chocolate's vegetarian chocaholic's nightmare, their Mo' Bacon Bar, containing many bits of real applewood smoked bacon, Alder wood smoked salt and 41% cacao deep milk chocolate. You could order it online, or truck on over to Ma Petite Shoe in Hampden, where it sells for $7.95.

Me and my buddy Eric stopped in during HonFest, after I had engorged on crayfish (half a bowl for $5), hot dogs ($3 for one), refreshing iced green tea from Suzie's Soba ($3), and on-tap Heineken and Paulaner ($5 each). I was surprised at how tasty it was, as I think were the bloggers who had congregated on the porch after I went in (so of course they got some too). But the saltiness, molasses flavor and chew bits of bacon are really a surprisingly nice complement to the chocolate. Bizarre.

9 comments:

Nanc Twop said...

oh my...
Did it taste 'smoked' also?

*rem our villain Lisa learned that there is such a thing as too much smoky flavour...

Summer said...

I just can't wrap my head around it. Went to The Bicycle last week and they had a Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Bacon dessert. I couldn't do it. Just couldn't. I think it was a smidge cheaper than that chocolate bar though.

theminx said...

See? I told ya!

Oh, and I could so do a PB, choc, and bacon dessert. I used to eat PB and bacon sandwiches as a kid.

K8teebug said...

I LOVE the bacon bar! I've been forcing people to try it for a while now...

I was thinking of making a bacon ice cream. I think it would taste yummy.

John said...

I've had a peanut butter, bacon and Worcestershire sauce sandwich before. That's really all you need to know to replicate it.

danielle said...

So glad we ran into you and at the perfect time. I thought the bacon chocolate was really tasty, though I'd only want to eat a small bit at a time. Thanks for sharing!

Meaghan said...

Rock Candy in Lauraville sells the Vosges Bacon Bar for $7.50. They also have a virtually comprehensive line of Vosges products and a fantastic selection of other gourmet, fancy pants chocolates.

www.rockcandybaltimore.com

Meghan said...

The bacon bar is AWESOME! I'm with you on the icecream... but that bacon bar blew me away!

Kit Pollard said...

I LOVE the bacon bar. My only complaint is that it could use a little more bacon!

Also love Ma Petite Shoe. I could eat that whole store in one sitting.