Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The vacation starts tomorrow...

Well it's finally here. The passport is xeroxed - twice, the clothes are packed, the dishes are cleaned up and the mail is... uhhhm, oh shit, I forgot to stop the mail.

Anyway, in 24 hours I will be in Boston, roaming around the city while I wait for my connecting to Reykjavik, which then takes me to Amsterdam around 11AM Thursday morning, Nederlander time. A few things I'm hoping to see and try:

  1. My first lobster roll in Boston or, barring that, some "wicked" New England seafood. Certainly it's not as good as the Chesapeake's, but whose is? :) But I'm still looking forward to it.
  2. Will anyone in Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport be able to talk to me in English?
  3. Trying real Dutch foods like pannekoeken with some other stuff (bacon? raisins? cheese? Apparently these are heel Nederlands things to put in your pancakes).
  4. The supermarkets, where I will be getting most of my food, due to the continued slide of the dollar into the proverbial gutter.
  5. Some good Indonesian food (again, easy to find in the supermarkets). It's as easy to find as Chinese is here. Nasi goreng, anyone?
  6. Surinamese cuisine - I have little clue what it is, except the word roti keeps popping in my head.
That's it for now, except that I am going to start copyrighting these posts, just as any of you who writes a blog (hopefully) may be doing already. I thought it was understood, but since the previous one (I still have no idea how to contact the bastards) I have to threaten legal action (direct quotes that give credit to me are A-OK). Malnurtured Snay also gave me the suggestion that I go to Wordpress, which apparently will allow me to choose who links back to me or not, but that still only solves part of the problem.

5 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

#2. yes.

Broadsheet said...

OMG. I've been to Holland at least 4 times now, and had a Dutch roommate in grad school, and now my next door neighbor is Dutch.

An authentic Riestafel is the way to go with Indonesian food, but nasi goreng is always a favorite. Try to visit Kantijl en de Tijger at Spuistraat 291-293. You'll thank me later.

Make sure to buy some Sambaal Olek and Ketsup Manis while you are there, although I also know where to get it in Baltimore when you need it.

Do NOT miss Stroopwaffel, Vla or Kwark. Just. Don't.

And I don't know where to find them outside of NYC or Aruba.

I make my neighbor bring them back for my when he goes home and I kitty-sit his cats.

The Icelandic airport has a great sweater shop, but honestly, you can get better selection and discounts on line these days that more than make up for the duty free discounts.

ENJOY!!!!!

DAS said...

When I was in Iceland a few years ago, almost everyone spoke english, most fairly well. Airport, restaurants, out on the street, everywhere. I hope you have a great, great time.

Anonymous said...

It's going to be great. Take lots of pictures.

Malnurtured Snay said...

Hey, if you can stick a long-legged Dutch beauty into one of your bags, bring her back for me, 'k?