Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving, Oy!

Here I am, waiting for family, with a Southwestern turkey and sweet topatoes* with half an hour to go in the oven (it's 4:00 right now) and I'm letting myself get too stressed today. It's really silly, you know? As I was running to the Giant near Towson U. for the third time today, I was thinking how out of all holidays this is perhaps the most stressful one for me. I'm tired, sweaty, and I just found out how painful a cheese slicer can be when you're not careful (not the wire kind).

But really, it's so stupid. I was disposing of some potatoes that had green spots on them, and it dawned on me just how lucky I am to have potatoes to throw away in the first place. Much more so than the poor folks who stand in line for their one probable meal a day at Our Daily Bread (a very important place in this city), or eve my own ancestors, who 160 years ago would have been very lucky to find even one potato with a green spot on it wherever they were in the Emerald Isle.

So while I wait for family, here are a few things I am thankful for today:

  • that I have family and friends who give a damn about me in the first place
  • that I'm not standing in line at a soup kitchen
  • that I still have my health
  • that I have a job that pays the bills and then some
  • that I'm lucky enough to go to Amsterdam for my 30-somethingth birthday
  • that I'm not in Iraq, or Darfur, or Myanmar, or Guatemala, or any other place where horrible things are happening to good people
  • that I've still got (pretty much) all of my hair
I'm not writing anymore today. I'll post some recipes tomorrow, y'all. Have a nice Thanksgiving. AND DO ALL YOUR SHOPPING ONLINE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT! :)




* Yes, I wrote that on purpose.

2 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I am thankful that I get to read your fun and entertaining blog... even if it's a little strange sometimes! xoxoxoxo

John said...

Fairfax: Thank you, and the same to you and y'all who write 'em! Though I don't think yours is really all that strange, but really, with videos about crazy muffin ladies and zombie dates mine isn't TOO weird ;)

Just thought of another thing I'm thankful for: that I didn't eat fried stuffing on a stick for Thanksgiving, natch! (I'm sorry. I just can't get that out of my head **SHUDDER**)