Sunday, September 02, 2007

Maryland State Fair, in haiku

I went and stuffed myself at the Maryland State Fair today. I haven't been in years, and really not much has changed. Still, it was very different for me, because I always experienced different things when I was younger. That and nobody went with me this time, so I could roam around completely unencumbered.

I saw lots and lots of things, and ate lots and lots of things. So much so that I feel compelled to compress it all down, as with Artscape, into haiku form once again.

Light Rail is easy!
Hopped on at Falls Road Station,
There in 5 to 10.

Plus, it lets you off
RIGHT THERE, at the back entrance -
6 bucks to get in.



One senior didn't like that she couldn't get in as cheap as the kids.


Lots and lots of cows
Lots and lots and lots of cows
At the Cow Palace.



I did mention the cows, didn't I?

After that I hit
Maryland's Food Pavilion
All food grown right here!

I started with crabs:
Two small soft shells on a bun.
Tastes better fried, though.



I tried them with horseradish as well as mayo. Was a little overpowering. For $8, I wish it had been better.

Next I went for lamb:
Barbecued for six-fifty -
Tangy, tasty, good.



I had never seen lamb barbecue until today. It won't be the last time.

I got hit by games:
Simpsons, Dora, Family Guy.
Not tempted at all.



How many of me are there? ¡Cuéntame! Let's count me! Uno, dos, tres, cuatro...

You should see those crafts
All in the 4-H Building.
Innovative stuff...


Someone also made a cake out of pink towels. I forget what the judges thought about it.

Those kids do a lot
Of 4-H dioramas
Some clever, some, well...


Come on, you gotta admit this is cute.

I saw lots of crafts
Like quilts, clothes, flow'r arrangements
Crocheted dollhouse - what!?



That's what I said - a crocheted house. With crocheted furniture.

Much food on display,
Lots of prize-winning ribbons
For the state's best food!

I stared at produce,
Jars of pickles, chutneys, jams.
Oh, my mouth watered!


This isn't the half of it.

Then came the baked goods.
I drooled over all those cakes!
Some done by the kids.


Mmmm. Cake.

There were fancy ones,
Chocolate, red velvet, yellow,
Fondant everywhere!



This one had, like, fifty-seven ribbons

Hungry for some cake,
I left, seeking sustenance.
Got corn dog instead.



Greasy, crunchy, sickening, delightful. Ah yes, the North American corn dog ($3).

Finally found some cake,
In the exhibition hall:
Edelweiss Bak'ry.



By this time I was on a serious fat and sugar high, ready to crash any second.

No, I didn't hit
Any of the rides this time.
Not too big on rides.



"If you ever start feeling like you have the goofiest, craziest, most dysfunctional family in the world, all you have to do is go to a state fair. Because five minutes at the fair, you'll be going, 'you know, we're alright. We are dang near royalty.' "
- Jeff Foxworthy


Saw lots of fried things:
Oreos, Twinkies and fudge (!?)
PB Sandwiches (!!!)


Yes, that says "Deep Fried Fudge"

Thus ended my day.
Stuffed, heading back to my car,
With the smell of hay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the haiku tour of events. And I had no idea that the light rail was such a good way to get to the fair. Next year I might even go.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is in reference to a photo labeled crocheted dollhouse. While that dollhouse is cute, and made of yarn, alas it is not crocheted. It is made of plastic canvas, and doesn't require very much skill at all to make.

Unknown said...

Hi! In reference to the last comment about the crocheted dollhouse, she's right, that dollhouse is made from plastic canvas. However, there is such a thing as a crocheted dollhouse! Here is a link to one if you care to see : http://byhookbyhand.blogspot.com/2011/01/pocket-cottage.html Thanks!